Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Below we'll try to address some of the more common questions about Epion and the experience of teaching in Japan.

What is the immigration requirement to work in Japan?

To be eligible to receive a full-time work visa in Japan, you must have a bachelor's degree from a four-year university. Some other countries, such as Canada and Australia, offer working holiday visas.

What are the typical ages of the students?

Students at Epion typically range from two years old for the youngest students in a With Mom course to about eighteen years old for kids in the Pre-College course. Epion also has a handful of adult students of a variety of ages enrolled in the Communicate course. However, the majority of the students enrolled in the Kids course at Epion (and therefore the bulk of our students in general) are between four and nine years old. Please check our Teaching Overview page for more information on Epion's various courses.

How often do teachers travel to different schools?

A full-time teacher typically teaches classes five days per week, and can be scheduled to work at any of Epion's schools during those days. Once a teacher has been given a fixed teaching schedule (which typically occurs shortly after being hired), they will be working at the same school every day of the week. For example, a teacher who is scheduled to work at the Moriguchi school on Mondays can expect to go there every Monday. During the course of a five-day work week, a teacher could work at a single school or five different schools, though either of those extremes are uncommon. Please check our Schools page for more information on the locations of Epion's schools in Japan.

What teaching materials does Epion use?

For our Kids classes, Epion uses its own series of teaching materials, which were developed and produced in-house by our own staff. For the Junior and Communicate classes, Epion employs a series of pre-developed textbooks and workbooks appropriate to the level of the particular students.

Teaching Experience

Is teaching experience necessary to get hired at Epion?

Teaching experience isn't necessary to get hired at Epion, although it is certainly an asset. However, teachers who are enthusiastic, hardworking, and work well with children are more likely to get hired than someone without those qualities, regardless of teaching experience.

Do I need a university degree to apply?

Applicants who possess a spousal visa (from being married to a native resident of Japan) or a working holiday visa do not need a university degree to apply at Epion. Working holiday visas are available for a number of countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom. For more information on working holiday visas, please visit the official Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan website (in English). The university degree is the Japanese Immigration standard for language schools to sponsor a teacher for the "Specialist in Humanities/International Services" work visa.

When should I apply?

For those currently living outside of Japan, the best time to apply for a job at Epion is around two to four weeks before you plan to arrive in the country. For applicants already living in Japan, the best time to apply at Epion is when an advertisement of ours appears in either Kansai Flea Market or Kansai Time Out. In addition, we place online adverts on sites such as Kansai Scene Classifieds, KFM Online Classifieds and during recruitment periods. The most recent edition of Kansai Flea Market can be downloaded directly from their website.


Is an apartment or other housing provided?

Epion does not directly provide any housing for its employees.

Will Epion pay for my flight to Japan?

Epion cannot assist in arranging or paying for employees' flights to Japan.

Does Epion offer part-time contracts?

Yes, we do offer part-time contracts. Please state your preference (part-time or full-time) when applying for a position with us.

How do I apply for a teaching position at Epion?

Please check our Recruiting page for more information on applying for a teaching position at Epion.

I don't speak any Japanese, is that OK?

Japanese ability is not necessary to teach at Epion.


Can I apply before I arrive in Japan?

Yes. In fact, applying to Epion shortly before arriving in Japan (about two to four weeks) is recommended.

Can I apply if I'm not sure when I'll arrive in Japan?

If your expected arrival date to Japan is more than a few months away, we may no longer be hiring by the time you arrive in Japan.

Are travel expenses paid for?

Yes. Epion pays for all travel expenses between the train station closest to your residence and the schools the teachers work at.

May I still apply if English is not my first language?

Non native-English speakers may be checked for language ability.